Thursday, February 27, 2014

I Knew This Day Would Come

Today was not a good day.  I started telling kids about my leaving yesterday.  I told them about the opening at O (Tyler, it isn't really important what she died of), about the kids needing someone good to take care of them and their library (Yes Jane, they probably could get someone else) , I told them I would still be around training the new person (No, Suzy, I don't know who she is yet.), how I am keeping my Sun School job, and just how much I was going to miss them all (No Peter, I'm not leaving because I don't like you guys). I tried to walk them through what to expect in the next few days and weeks.  I ended each explanation with telling them how awesome they are and how much I have loved getting to know them and read to them and talk to them.  The first class was 6th graders.  I have worked with these kids since they were in first grade.  These kids were my son's classmates before he changed grades. I know these kids well.  I like these kids. I did very well until the very end when I said I would miss them and I started crying. It hit me that I won't see these guys go to middle school or have them come back and visit once they do (our elementary school is right next door to the middle school and kids come in the say hi all the time.).   I also thought, "Oh no, I have 8 classes today, if I cry with every one I'm going to be a mess!"

I pulled it together and didn't cry again.  Yesterday.  Today, a different story.  I started with the first class and almost lost it with every class (I had 9 classes today).  The worst was the staff though.

I knew that people at my current job would be sad that I was leaving.  I've been there awhile.  I like to think I'm pretty good at my job and that my co-workers appreciate that.  I get that they would be sad.  What I wasn't expecting was the anger.  Not everyone mind you. But some. One in particular.  He had me in tears at lunch. I left and cried it out in the bathroom.

I really am very excited to go to my new job but I'm going to miss these people an incredible amount. 

No comments:

Post a Comment