Saturday, January 25, 2014

Little Library

I went and visited my "new" library today while I interviewed. I spent some time looking around and pulling books to look at. 

Here's what I realized.  This library is small.  Like really small.  I'm guessing about 2/3 the floor space of my current library.  And that floor space is chopped up with free standing shelves.  I stood there forever and tried to figure out how/where I would put my reading rug.  I'm still not sure how I'm would do it but I have a few ideas.  I did decide that I would not change anything for the first week, which was my original plan (I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I would do if I got the job).  I think I'm going to need more time to decide. Plus, I don't want the kids to freak out.  The former library manager died.  She didn't quit or move to Texas, she died.  And the kids loved her.  I'm afraid that if I make too many changes, too quickly, it will seem disrespectful. And they might hate me!

At my library, I am going ahead with the book clubs that I had planned before this whole thing happened.  The kids were SO excited and I didn't want to disappoint them.  If I end up getting the job,  I'll just squeeze it in however I can.  The 4th graders are going to do Charlotte's Web, the 5th graders are doing The Westing Game, and 6th graders are doing A Wrinkle in Time.

So, I'm off to go and read two books in the next several days.  And plan a new library.  And keep the one I'm at running smoothly.  And prepare my chess club lesson for tomorrow.  And help my kids finish their homework and tuck them in.  Then edit/proofread a chapter of the book I promised I'd edit/proofread for a friend.  Then? I think I'll collapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment