Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Mrs. Moss Zone

This is the Mrs. Moss Zone!  What, you ask, is the Mrs. Moss Zone?  Well, I'm glad you asked!

At my old school I had the Mrs. Moss's Favorites Cart.  A small cart with books that I had read that I thought were good books for kids.  The ones that I think will appeal to a large section of kids.  I try to include a lot of different genres and reading levels.  Those books were very popular.  I liked having a cart of recommendations.  When kids would ask me for book recommendations, I had a cart full of books I liked and thought kids would like. I would walk kids over to the "Mrs. Moss's Favorites Cart" often to look for good books.  It made it easy for me.  Because of this, I wanted to carry on the tradition at my new school.

When I got here, I realized there was no place to park a cart on a permanent basis.  I did, however, have this shelf which used to house the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.  Those books will circulate no matter where I put them so I shelved them back with the fiction books.  I took that shelf and put my Mrs. Moss's Favorites on it.  I had chapter books on display on the top shelf.

Then I had an epiphany!  I often have kids ask for "that book you read to us last week."  That usually means three weeks ago and I can't always remember what book I read to what grade level.  I always wished I had a place to display my past read aloud books.  While moving some other books around, I ended up with a small display shelf with no home.  I looked at it, then looked at the top shelf of this bookcase and thought - Hey!  You should use this to display your read alouds!

The bulletin board above it seemed perfect for sign to acknowledge what this space is.  The Mrs. Moss Zone popped into my head and it has stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment